Monday 5 August 2013

365 Challenge - day 316


During my evening walk I adventured myself a bit deeper in the forest, leaving the usual paths and at one moment I almost stepped on two baby squirrels, actually I am still not sure if I  stepped or not. They were very well camouflaged between the leafs. I heard just something and I was .. oh shit, what is this ... two small brown things. At the beginning I thought they are dead but I noticed moving their eyes, covered with ugly big green flies.

My dog came quickly to asses the problem, good thing one was moving, the other one was still playing dead or close to ... at least he was  cleaned by my dog and got a moment without flies


I was still thinking about what to do with those two baby squirrels, but as my dog started to look at trees I presumed that maybe is a mama squirrel too in the neighborhood and maybe is better to leave them off, but as I was leaving I was thinking if it was the good decision, night is coming and  the forest is full of owls, foxes and small eagles and they are a sitting duck. Also I was wondering why they didn't run? And my experience with rodents is not very large so if I took them, what I had to feed them? 


Hopefully the little ones will make it through the night and through the life but tomorrow morning I will go there to see if they are there, and if I find them in the same spot and alive probably I will have to figure a way to take them at a veterinary or something like this. I don't like to take animals from their environment just because I think is better, but somehow now I think about my principles that the life in the wild should take it's course and only the strongest may survive .... sounds a bit heartless when I think about those small fur-balls

No comments: